Thursday, June 9, 2011

Banananza!

What do you do when you find a whole bag of black bananas sitting in the freezer? Make stuff!!!

Here's the first installment in what will surely be a series of recipes I try for overripe bananas. Forget the usual banana bread or muffins, it's time to be adventurous!

Adventure #1: Banana Curry

Yes...you read that right, banana curry. I found a great page all about cool things to do with overripe bananas, and one of the options was curry! I wanted to use stuff that was on its way out in the fridge, so I changed the original recipe a bit and it turned out surprisingly awesome! Here's my concoction:

Ingredients

1 cup sliced mushrooms
3 small potatos, sliced
1/4 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup skim milk
a sprinkling of coconut flakes
curry powder to taste (I think I used around 1 tbsp)
1 overripe banana, sliced

-Sauté the mushrooms and potatoes in a pan (if you just use a tiny bit of water and stir often, you can get away with not using butter or oil!).
-After around 5 minutes, add the dates, milk, flakes, and powder. Stir, then cover and let simmer on low for 15 minutes.
-Add the banana and simmer another five minutes.
-Serve over rice, with bread, or however you want!

...I also added some chives when I did this, which didn't hurt it but wasn't necessary. I think if I did this again, I would leave out the coconut flakes. I was trying to go for a low-fat version of coconut milk, and it worked, but the flakes are kind-of annoying. In the future, I might let them sit in the milk for awhile and then take them out, or something...

Feel free to experiment as always! :)

PS: The word for banana in French is banane.

No comments:

Post a Comment