Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Dans ma maison (in my house)

Bonjour!
Maintenant, I am at my house using Fabienne`s laptop. She gave me the password for the internet but alas, I still can`t get online! Oh well...I think it`s good being less dependant on technology. Hardly using the cell phone, hardly using the internet, having to plan in advance to meet up with people, walking everywhere...c`est bon.

Today, we had an introduction to Quebecoise music. Quebec has its own culture and traditions, different from the rest of Canada. It`s interesting...you can tell it`s its own style. Fabienne let me borrow a few of her CDs, so now I have la musique de Quebec sur mon i-pod! Tomorrow à l`ecole we will research quebecoise music to perform.

Every morning, I have French class. My class is for the less-advanced students. In Canada, they have two systems of education: one is similar to ours, and the other is an immersion program in which children learn a lot of things in French (with some classes in English) from the time they are little. There a lot of students here who were part of the immersion program, so they`re in the advanced class. There are seven of us in my class, et je t`aime la classe! We learn, we laugh, we love it all.

I`m beginning to think in French. When I do sit-ups each day, I count them in French. When I practice, I hear the rhythms in French in my head. It almost seems more natural to be conversing in French with everyone around me, even though it`s so difficult. To speak in English here seems...wrong? Even writing...this is a rushed entry right now and it`s easier to add French into my sentences than to write them in complete English, parce que I think of the French first! Je ne sais pas...

OK, c`est tout pour maintenant. Tonight one of the other girls is having a campfire at her house, so a bunch of us are going over there in a bit. Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment