Saturday, June 5, 2010

Le Petit Prince

Bonjour.
Un autre fin du semaine. Aujourd'hui, il fait pleut (today, it rains).

Not much has happened since my last entry, but it's raining and I don't really feel like walking anywhere at the moment, so I'm updating my blog instead.

Oh, actually a few things have happened! Jeudi (Thursday), we had our first session of quèbècois dancing. J'aime quèbècois dancing beaucoup! It's very similar to square dancing, and I don't know about the rest of you CHS-ers, but I know I always looked forward to square dancing in gym class! It was fairly simple for me to catch on to all the moves we learned this week. For instance, there is a move called la grande chaîne. Bet you can't guess what that translates to. Another is l'etoile, which translates to ''the star''. Yep, that's right, everyone puts their hands in the middle and circles left or right. There are some differences between square dancing and quèbècois dancing, but not much! Oh...but my feet were killing me afterward because we danced barefoot, and I had a lot of energy for dancing. Probably didn't help that I played soccer afterward...

Hier soir (last night), there was another repas partage (potluck dinner) with a feu (fire). I really like these weekend potluck/fires; great way to hang out. Eva and I made une salade du fruit (fruit salad) avec crème du yoghourt (frozen yogourt). Mmm...

Today, I went on an outing with Fabienne and her mother to...un serre. Mom, you're probably happy to know that translates to greenhouse. *sigh* Even in Quebec, I can't get away from all the plants ;)
Afterward, I spent a good portion of the day reading Le Petit Prince. If you've never read The Petit Prince, you should. It's a wonderful French children's story that I'm very glad I studied in l'ecole secondaire (high school). Merci Monsieur B!

Anyway, I was happy to discover during my first week here that my mère d'acceuil has the story on CD, and was more than happy to let me borrow it. Each week, I listen to the story at least once, and comprehend a little more each time. This past week, I found a copy of the book at the school library, so each day I read a chapter or two and find definitions for all the words I don't recognize. Great way to study!

Tonight je nagerai (that means I will nager) with Heather and possibly the other Carolyn and Anna at the local pool, then I'm going to a party for a bit and coming back here with Eva, Heather, and whoever else wants to join to watch a quèbècois film. Can you figure out what nager means? It's one of my favorite activities, and I'm excited...or as the quèbècois people would say, j'ai hâte, for finally getting to nager here!

Salut!

No comments:

Post a Comment