Wednesday, June 2, 2010

L'Impro

Ahhh I love everything I get to do here!

Today everyone went to an elementary school and played in band with the music students. I found it really ironic (and drôle!) that even in Quebec, I wound up in a music classroom teaching students. Awesome. It was like I was completing observation hours all over again. Some of us even talked about our instruments, and the students were just as intrigued by le hautbois (oboe) and le basson (bassoon) as they were in the Albany schools. The only difference is everything is en français of course. Hmm...maybe there are teaching jobs up here... ;)

Also today, I had my first pétition (rehearsal) with my équipe d'improv. This might be my favorite activity here thus far. Here's how it works:

L'Impro is a popular event here in Quebec. Multiple teams consisting of five musicians each compete in a night of improvisation challenges. There is a referee-director (forgot the formal title) who MCs the event and gives the teams categories. There are five categories in each round. Each time a category is given, the teams have thirty seconds to discuss what they will play within the category. They play for a set duration of time, then the other team plays, and the crowd votes on which team they prefer by holding up pieces of paper with the respective team's color. Categories include genres of music such as jazz, metal, rock, folk, reggae, etc. In addition, there can be twists added to each category. For instance, a team might be asked to play rock music in the style of a jungle safari, or be asked simply to create a winter scene. Like all things here, this is not just improvisation, but EXTREME improvisation!

My improv team is awesome. Our team leader (or chef, as you say en français) is Anna, a student trained in classical opera who is also into vocal jazz and musical theater. She's proving to be a good leader, researching musical styles, organizing rehearsal times, etc. The other team players are Michael, a saxophone player who can double on guitar, piano, a little bass, and probably a lot of other things if he feels like it. John is a percussionist who mainly plays les batteries (drum set, if you recall) but never hogs the set and can play a little bass or piano if need be. There are two Carolyns on the team: one is a vocalist who plays a little guitar and can fill in on auxiliary percussion, and of course moi, playing drum set, vibraphone, auxiliary percussion, and harmonica depending on the category. I don't know if I could be on a better team. We all have imrpovisation experience, our blend of instrumental talents work well together, we listen to each other well, and we're all open to each others' ideas and suggestions. Now we just need a team name, and we're good to go.

Now here's the coolest part: This is an optional event I volunteered for; the other students will be watching but not everyone will be participating in the competition. The competition will take place the night of June 12th at le Boîte à Bleuets, a chic restaurant with a stage that is a popular spot for public Impro competitions (also where we commenced our 25 km faire du vélo). Sooo there will lots of people coming to this event to watch my team perform against other teams we might not know. I don't know all the details, but that's what it sounds like will happen. J'ai hâte!!!

Hmm...I think j'ai hâte will be today's mot du jour (or phrase du jour I guess). It's a phrase used here in Quebec when someone is...well, you can figure it out. Ahhh j'ai hâte!!!!

...Une chauve-souris is a bat.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Carolyn! That sounds amazing! I wish I could hear your group perform. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you would so so incredibly happy if you could find a teaching job up there, it sounds incredible! I totally wish Quebec was closer so that I could come out and listen to you guys jam, because it would be amazing.

    So glad to hear everything's going so well! Can't wait for your next entry =)

    ReplyDelete